7421 Menaul Blvd NE, ABQ NM


How do I renew my certification after it expires?

Presently, AGD mandates that the only way to renew your certification is to re-attend another full certification class. This is to ensure that ALL servers/sellers are kept current with New Mexico Laws and regulation, in addition to evolving law enforcement practices. Please check the “classes” link to attend a convenient CAST of NM class near you!
Back to Index

Will I receive a notification that my certification is about to expire?

No. You are expected to keep your certificate accessible, and to be aware of its expiration date.

Back to Index

Is there a “grace period” in which I can work without being certified?

Yes, IF you have never before been certified in New Mexico, you have 30 days within which to take a certification class. There is no “grace period” if you have previously been certified in New Mexico.

Back to Index

What if I lose my certificate?

By calling (or writing in) the Division of Alcohol and Gaming (505)-476-4875, you can obtain a form to request a duplicate of your certification. NOTE: You cannot legally serve or sell alcohol during the time it takes to receive a duplicate. As per AGD Regulations, you must be able to produce your certification at any time, should enforcement officers ask for it during your working hours.

Back to Index

When will I receive my certficate?

CAST of NM will issue you a temporary certificate immediately at the end of class, for those students who have met all requirements. Your Server Permit card will be mailed to you in approximately 90 days from the date of the class.

The temporary certificate is valid until you receive the official certificate from the Division of Alcohol and Gaming.

Back to Index

Is there a shorter class that I can take to get my certification?

No. The minimum class time is defined by law. The Division of Alcohol and Gaming has previously taken away the certification of those providers who did not comply with the State rules and regulations.

Back to Index

How do I get my alcohol servers certification?

All that is required is for you to attend any one of our regularly scheduled classes (See Classes page), and pass the exam. You must bring to class a valid photo ID and must have a social security number. CAST instructor is NOT required to visually check your SS# Card, but it must be provided on your application.

Back to Index

What if I don’t get certified?

If you do not pass the exam, participants are given 1 free retake. However you CANNOT just retake the exam, you must re-attend the FULL class again. Therefore CAST of NM advises that participants come to this class well prepared, ready to learn, and well rested.

In the State of New Mexico, serving alcohol without a permit after the allowed 30 day “grace period”, could result in a fine of up to $500.00. T5he manager on duty and the establishment itself can also be fined separately. If your certificate has expired and you are caught serving alcohol, the fine could be as high as $250.00. Again, the manager on duty and establishment could also be cited and fined. Many establishments now require you to have a valid Server permit BEFORE being hired.

Back to Index

How long is the certificate good for?

The Alcohol Server Permit is NOW valid for ONLY 3 years.

Please note: Only new hires are given the 30-day “grace period” to obtain their server permit. It is your responsibility to ensure that your permit does not expire once you have been certified.

Back to Index

How old do I have to be to get certified?

You must be at least 19 years old to attend a server certification class. Note: Most employment positions require that you be at least 21 years old.

Under age 21, the only LEGAL involvement with alcohol you can have is as a server in a restaurant which receives the bulk of its income from the sale of food.

Back to Index

What is alcohol server certification?

To be certified you must attend a state-approved alcohol server education class. The class covers many topics of responsible beverage service, requiring 4.5 hours of instruction, plus an exam. Upon completion of the class, and after scoring 80% or higher on the exam, CAST of New Mexico will issue you a temporary certificate, Which is valid proof of certification for 90 days. The New Mexico Division of Alcohol and Gaming (AGD), will then send your server permit card to your address via mail.

Back to Index

Do I need an alcohol server permit?

Whether a person is required to have a server permit is determined by what the person actually does, not by their job title. If your job involves making the decision whether to serve and/or sell alcohol to a customer, you must be certified.

SERVERS who take drink orders, or serve alcohol must be certified. BARTENDERS must always be certified.

MANAGERS and OWNERS even if they don’t sell or serve customers themselves, must be certified because they “manage, direct, or control the sale or service of alcohol.

BOUNCERS and SECURITY if they are checking the ID’s of customers to make sure they are at least 21, are “controlling the sale and service of alcohol”, and therefore are also required to be certified.

HOSTS in a restaurant who do not make any decision to serve or sell alcohol, do NOT need to be certified. But if they EVER check a customers ID, take a drink order, or serve an alcoholic beverage, they must be certified.

CASHIERS generally must be certified. In a package-store situation (Grocery Store or Liquor Store) cashiers must be at least 21 years old.

Back to Index

Comment on this FAQ

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *